STARKVILLE, Overlook. – Regulation was not enough as the Mississippi Point out women’s basketball workforce applied two additional time intervals to knock off Tennessee, 91-90, in front of a group of about 5,000. The earn moves the Bulldogs to 16-7 total and 5-5 in the SEC, when the decline drops Tennessee’s report to 17-9 over-all and 8-2 in the SEC.
This is the 1st double-additional time get for MSU due to the fact March 24, 2014, in opposition to Southern Skip when the Bulldogs received 74-66. This is also head mentor Sam Purcell’s 16th job victory earning him the winningest first-year head mentor in program historical past.
JerKaila Jordan was the driving power for the Bulldog offense, knocking down a year-higher 24 details, 6 rebounds and three steals. Jordan scored 11 in the 1st 50 percent, 12 in the next fifty percent and a big totally free throw in overtime.
Joining Jordan in double-figures have been Asianae Johnson and Anastasia Hayes. Johnson, a important spark for the Bulldogs late in the contest with six straight details in the fourth quarter, tied her time-superior on Monday with 16 details on 7-of-9 shooting. In the 2nd additional time, Hayes took about just after the frame begun with a Tennessee triple. Right after buckets from Johnson and Ramani Parker, Hayes scored five straight points, together with a few at the totally free toss line to aid thrust the MSU direct to six. Hayes ended the game with 14 points, with 8 rebounds, 4 steals and three assists.
- Initial time Condition has scored in double-digits in the first quarter due to the fact Jan. 19 versus Auburn (18)
- The match was tied 31 to 31 going into halftime
- Bulldogs outscored the Lady Vols 40-26 in the paint
- 91 is tied for the most details Condition has scored versus Tennessee
- Condition increases to 2- from the Woman Vols in OT (initial a person coming in Starkville 1/29/2016)
- Jordan scored 24 details, the most she’s scored in SEC play since scoring 20 last year
- This is the Bulldog’s initially leading 20 Net gain
- Bulldog’s to start with gain in 2OT because 2014 in opposition to Southern Miss out on
- State’s bench outscored the Woman Vols 40-34
- Tennessee held to 4 steals, tied for their lowest this season.
- Bulldogs 3rd straight SEC home get
- Bulldogs are now 11-2 at house
- Charlotte Kohl created her first start off of the period, 12th in her occupation
- Ramani Parker has now knocked down a a few-pointer in every single of the previous 3 games
- Tennessee shot 44 absolutely free throws to Mississippi State’s 33 no cost throws
Quoting Mentor Sam Purcell
We experienced a good discuss this 7 days. I experienced some drained bodies and drained minds, and we went back to the basics, and it begun with me. We’re carrying out way also a great deal. We know how to make plays, I have gotta get out of the way, but at the very same time you all have to deliver your angle, your toughness. We made a change in transition protection, and I instructed the two of them, my double A batteries more than there, [Asianae] and [Anastasia], you all are two of the swiftest youngsters in the SEC. You wanna earn, you wanna transform the tempo for our team, they gotta really feel you for four quarters, but clearly, tonight was additional.”
Quoting Anastasia Hayes
On how it feels to know that mentor has your again as very well
“It indicates a ton that he has [our] back. To have a coach that fights and tells us he will combat is brilliant. At that moment, I felt like we have a close marriage, and I can be like “Coach, tranquil down a small little bit”, but we stuck it out and acquired the acquire, and he stayed favourable, we stayed good, and we had his again.”
Up Up coming
Mississippi Condition will be on the road Thursday when they travel to Gainesville, Fla., to consider on the Florida Gators. Suggestion-off is established for 6 p.m. CT.